Saturday, August 7, 2010

It was cooler than it sounds

I'm sure, like me, the first thought you have when you're at a family reunion for a family you're related to only by marriage, and they put up a screen for a slide show, your first thought is NOT, "Wow! This is going to be awesome!"

It wasn't my thought. Especially when I saw the warning from the PowerPoint software. You know the warning. It's the one that says (and I'm not making this up) "Slide 1 of 397."

Fortunately for what's left of my sanity (a shaky beginning at best), the man who put it together is a retired Air Force Colonel who doesn't waste time. He said the slides were timed to change every 5 seconds and that the show wouldn't stop for questions. He had photos from 1910 to 1987, and most of 'em were very good shots. I'm a history buff anyway, and I found it fascinating.

If you'll indulge me for a bit... I find history intriguing. It lights my imagination to see old photos, and to put them in context--especially on an everyday level--with the lives of people. From the fashion of their clothing, to the buildings and implements in the photos, to the facial expressions, there is much to see.

Yeah. I can write with stuff like that as imagination-ignition material.

No comments: