Saturday, August 14, 2010

I can do this...

There are hurdles to self-publishing. Lots of them. I plan to tackle them all. Digital publishing makes it a lot easier than the bad old days, when a writer paid a printer and ended up with a trunk load of books.
  ebooks have made their debut and they (unlike paper books) are on a sharp upward move. It took me a long time to decide to self-publish rather than go the traditional route, but now I'm in. The way I see it, most writers just don't have the business experience to make a go of self-publishing. I think I have that kind of experience. Here's my checklist, or To Do list:
  1. Write books. Status: first book in the series is up on Amazon, second book will be soon, third book is done, and the 4th is half done.
  2. Convert manuscripts to formats acceptable to all ebook sellers: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, Scribd, and Kobo.
  3. Publish to all ebook sellers
  4. Market the books: press releases to local media, Facebook ads, personal blog, friends, and friends of friends
  5. Keep writing.
  6. Maintain rights to all work, for future sales to paper publishers
It's going to be a lot of work, but work that feels like fun isn't work.
Fortunately, I'm in a good position. I don't have to make enough money to offset a high salary. I only have to make more money writing than I do at my part time job...and then I can write full-time.

In case you're wondering...I wrote this on the fly. I wasn't 100% sure I can achieve what I see as success when I write the title of this blog entry.
   ...Now I am sure. Yes. I can do this.

No comments: