ebooks have made their debut and they (unlike paper books) are on a sharp upward move. It took me a long time to decide to self-publish rather than go the traditional route, but now I'm in. The way I see it, most writers just don't have the business experience to make a go of self-publishing. I think I have that kind of experience. Here's my checklist, or To Do list:
- Write books. Status: first book in the series is up on Amazon, second book will be soon, third book is done, and the 4th is half done.
- Convert manuscripts to formats acceptable to all ebook sellers: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, Scribd, and Kobo.
- Publish to all ebook sellers
- Market the books: press releases to local media, Facebook ads, personal blog, friends, and friends of friends
- Keep writing.
- Maintain rights to all work, for future sales to paper publishers
Fortunately, I'm in a good position. I don't have to make enough money to offset a high salary. I only have to make more money writing than I do at my part time job...and then I can write full-time.
In case you're wondering...I wrote this on the fly. I wasn't 100% sure I can achieve what I see as success when I write the title of this blog entry.
...Now I am sure. Yes. I can do this.