Thursday, January 27, 2011

Peru, 1987...I'll make it a book

I'm going to release a book about my adventures in Peru. It will be available for sale at www.lulu.com by February 10. I promise you a fun ride...a story told by a young man who didn't know or care what kind of trouble he could get in while in a foreign country and cloaked in complete ignorance of the local languages.

I spent 9 weeks in Peru in 1987, when I was 20 years old. Peru was not stable back then and I was a college kid who spoke no Spanish when he got on the plane and went to participate in an archaeology dig about 50 miles east of Machu Picchu. I had a blast. There were mountains to climb, towns to visit...a man to pull out of a river flowing white with freshly melted glacial run-off, machine gun nests in the airport, and riding on the roof of the local trains.

I published my journal--a brief thing of 23 pages--in my book Just for Fun: A Little Sexton and Some Other stuff. I read it again this morning and was struck by how much I left out.

There's more, a lot more than what's contained in that journal. I'm open to suggestions for a title. At the moment I'm thinking something along the lines of Steele's Peru.

No comments: