Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Time to play with my spines (book spines)

I stopped at a bookstore today, admittedly to see if I could program the Nooks on display to show my books...which is probably not the most noble (You wondered if I could sneek that word in, didn't you?) way to get potential buyers. I couldn't do it. I mean I literally couldn't do it. Couldn't get it to work.
   Then I browsed my way over to the sci-fi/fantasy section. It's been a long time since I browsed a bookstore. This time I wasn't looking to see who was writing what. This time I looked to see what the books look like on the shelves and compared those to mine.
   Lulu and Authors Den have wizards for the covers and I use them. I create my own front cover and upload it and I'm happy with those results. What struck me this time was the way the spines of the books look. In a bookstore, the spine of the book is usually the first thing the customer sees. They only put the big sellers or potential big sellers so the covers face out.
  The first three Sexton books are going to be my last books with a plain spine that has only the title and my name on it. I'm going to make my own cover from now on instead of letting the cover wizards pick my spine. It won't cost more to have a 4-color wrap-around cover. It will take me a little time to figure out the graphics, the margins, etc. but I can do it.
   On the other hand...unless something changes, it's most unlikely you'll see my books on a shelf. Thus far, they're only available online...where the only graphic potential customers see is the front cover. But I want the books to look good on your shelves at home.
  If you haven't already...go ahead. Buy my books. They're good. I promise. You can get them at:
or

No comments: