Friday, January 14, 2011

I lost my copy of Microsoft Office, but I love the free alternative

If you're looking for a free office suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, and database manager), I highly recommend Open Office. You can find and download (It's freeware) Open Office at www.openoffice.org

Don't worry... You can save your files as Microsoft Office files. I have the programs set up to save as Word, or Excel, or PowerPoint, files automatically and have taken them to computers with those Microsoft programs with no problem whatsoever.

It doesn't take long to learn to use the programs if you're familiar with their commercial counterparts. Some things are in slightly different places on different menus, but the help portion of the programs is good and you'll find what you want with no problem.

I have yet to find a downside with Open Office. In some ways I like it better than the Microsoft programs, and in other ways I like it less.

And now you know. That's my unbiased, free, and carefully considered opinion.

No comments: