Saturday, May 14, 2011

Writing is like sex, sometimes.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yesss! Yeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!
Got your attention, didn't I?
    In fact, I think I'll use writing and sex as the labels and see how many hits this entry gets. You know (actually, you might not), the labels I put on these posts are the things that get picked up by Google and other search engines. Theoretically, now, anyone searching for "writing and sex" will find this post somewhere in the results.
   At any rate, I say with a combined chuckle and sigh, I should probably get to my point.
   Sometimes, it's best to slow down and think about something else for a while.
   Tonight I wanted to write the chapter in Sexton Sand where American wizard Nick Galizzi opens Mythaelace to go to Sexton and look for the Americans he knows are there and try to tilt the scales in the favor of the Sextons. He knows that country and he knows what trouble could come if the Crescens win the battle.
   I know how I want that chapter to go. Like sex, I want it to seem impromptu but be crafted with slow smooth motion that makes the reader forget all else.
   So I wrote for a while, building, building, and then...stopped. It will continue to build (this part not like sex at all) while I sleep. In the morning....well....(draw your conclusion here)... I'll be ready to...um...finish.
   Ha! 

No comments: